The typical composition of wastewater based on strength. The important characteristics measured in wastewater included...
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) [100-300 mg/L as O2]
- Suspended solids (SS) [100 – 350 mg/L]
- Settleable solids [5-20 mL/L]
- Total Kjeldahl nitrogen (TKN) [20-80 mg/L]
- Total Phosphorus [5-20 mg/L as P]
A typical solids analysis of wastewater, of the total solids, 50% is dissolved, 50% suspended. Of the suspended solids, 50% will settle. Industrial activity changes the composition of wastewater, often introducing toxic substances such as chromium and cadmium from plating operations.