Types of Surveying Chains
Following are the various types of chain in common use:
- Metric chains
- Steel band or Band chain
- Gunter's chain or surveyors chain
- Engineers chain
- Revenue chain
1. Metric Chain:
- Metric chains are made in lengths 20m and 30m. Tallies are fixed at every five-meter length and brass rings are provided at every meter length except where tallies are attached.
2. Gunter’s Chain
- Length = 66’ (22 yards), No of links = 100, Each link = .66’
- Used for measuring distances in miles or furlongs (220 yards), acres (Area).
3. Engineer’s Chain
- Length = 100’, No of links = 100, Each link = 1’
- Used in all Engineering Surveys.
4. Revenue Chain
- Length = 33’, No of links = 16
- Commonly used for measuring fields in cadastral Survey.
Types of Measuring Tapes in Surveying
Tapes are made of different materials:
1. Cloth or linen tape
- Used for subsidiary measurements
- Very light, easy to handle
- May effect by moisture
2. Metric steel tape
- Made of steel
- Outer end is provided with a ring for holding
3. Invar tape
- Used for high precision work
- Made of alloy steel
4. Synthetic tape
- Made of glass fiber with PVC coating
- These are used for short measurements